BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Yes I am still riding, just not writing lately

Sooooo.... I have been a terrible blogger over here. Not so terrible on my other blog but non-existent over here.

Sorry!!

So much to tell...... so little time.

I have been riding my roomies horse JB for the last month. Pretty much stopped riding mine. A much needed break and training time.

My roommate is an excellent teacher and JB is a terrific school master. He has been helping me develop my seat which was terrible. Also working on my hard hands learning not to ride with them.

It's amazing what happens when you have a good teacher... one is seeks to find the source of the problem not just fix all the results of that problem. I have taken lessons forever and it has very much puzzled me why my seat was so bad and how come I was riding so terribly. After weeks of teaching me and many conversations roomie and I have come to some conclusions.

First is that the trainer I have been riding with since I was little had evolved a whole lot in the lst few years (years I have not been taking lessons). When I was taking lessons as child they were a jumper barn turning dressage so the type of seat they were teaching was much different.

2nd is that unfortunately the trainers I have had always addressed my hard hands but never my seat. They did several adjustments with my leg placement to try to "fix" my hands when all this time it has been a seat issue. Thankfully my roommate has different training and is very "seat aware" she knew the first place to go was to my seat. And guess what??? I know have quieter hands and quieter legs!!! Who knew!!!!

What frustrates me is that it has taken this long to find someone who was knowledgeable and willing to find the route of the issue.

I have always had the drive to ride and compete in the sport of dressage but have always been written off as a hard rider... no natural ability.... there's no way she can learn this.

It hurts to here that these things that were said because I am a very teachable person who has always taken riding and caring for my horses seriously.

My roommate is also confused by these things because it hasn't been very long since she started teaching me.... and folks she has spent 2 evenings in that last 2 months giving me pointers (not lessons). She will tell you and tells me often that my improvement is outstanding!!! I take what she says and think on it and work on it till I get my brain and my body to do it.

My seat is sooooooo much better and I feel so much more secure on a horse. I have seen such an improvement in the way my own 2 horses respond too.

I can't wait to see where Romeo and I are come spring and can't wait to get in that show ring and prove to everyone that I have what it takes... and a stinking awesome horse to boot!!!!!

0 comments: