BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Busy, Busy day ahead

So I guess when it rains, it pours... right?? Isn't that how the old saying goes?? Well this morning I woke up with a slightly busy schedule and as the day goes by it just gets busier. Strider, the faithful canine companion of mine, has had a vet appointment schedule for tomorrow for awhile. Maximus, the trusty barn cat, got thrown in on the same day to get fixed (so we keep down the stray cat population). So cat has to be dropped off in morning and picked up in afternoon when dog goes in.

Meanwhile....

Last week the farrier was supposed to come, however, met a farrier that will do a trim for half the cost so I canceled the old one and decided to give this guy a try and so he is coming in the morning. I'm kinda picky about who does their feet and I have used my current one off and on for over 10 years. He's kinda grumpy and can be very rude however he knows his stuff and is gentle with my "kids" and that my friends is VERY important. I had one hit my sweet ol' mare with a rasp for just shifting her weight while trimming and I told him to get lost. I, and ONLY I can discipline my horses that sharply. I don't usually go with new guys but in the recent years I have picked up the skill of trimming, thanks to a fantastic farrier in VA who was willing to teach me, so I know what to look for in a good trim. With my current back issues it's worth the money to pay someone to do it.

So after dropping Mr. Max off at 7:30 I am hoping to sneak in a ride on Mr. Romeo (so far so good with the muscle bruise so I'm getting back in the saddle(: ) before new farrier comes at 9. That's a lot of things to have to do so early for this non-morning person.

To make things even more complicated I have my first lesson scheduled for the morning right after the farrier comes and then the vet! Yes, I am crazy for scheduling all this. The thing is next week I work all week then I start a new job that is further away from the horses and the vet can only come on Wed and I will work every Wed.... so needless to say it's either tom or never.

So about the vet.... kiddos are getting their annual shots and blood drawn. I am also looking for some tips on how to decrease the scar tissue on Romeo's back leg. I should get some pics up here so that I can get advice. He's had the scar on his left hind since he was 2, sliced his leg open, so I'm told. This big ugly growth grows out of it and I have to keep it trimmed back. Also going to ask about the best weight gain product for Dutch. She usually gets nice and plump in the summer months which allows her plenty of fat for winter, the past few summers she hasn't gained enough to make it through winter still looking fine. She's an easy keeper as long as there is grass.. Dutch will not survive off of hay and grain... she must have grass. However, I like to think it's her age finally catching up to her but she is not gaining enough weight this summer, and the grass in plentiful. Romeo actually has a great summer belly on him which is very unusual, he's the hard keeper. Her teeth were floated by an equine dentist just last year so I don't think that is the problem although I am getting both floated tom. She has also been wormed recently so I know that's not the issue. I think a good supplement will cure the problem but I like to double check with the vet before adding such things to her diet.

So I'll let you know how the crazy day ends up and what the vet says. Looking forward to getting back in the saddle and very excited about my lesson (:

0 comments: