BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Finally back in the saddle

Well... the busy day finally came to an end and now I'm relaxing at work and found some time to share about the adventure.

First off... the lesson went great. I LOVE teaching. Maybe, just maybe, someday I can have own barn with a few dedicated students:-) My student (we'll call her Ace) did very well. She is so eager to learn and had already purchased riding boots and is working on getting some breeches. I'm so proud of her, she's mowing lawns so buy it all herself.

Since yesterday's lesson was the first we spent most if it on the ground. I always start there, no matter there experience. These are my horses and I make sure my student is familiar with my rules. Safety first, always!! She is a quick learner and even managed to get the bridle on with no help. Since she has ridden before, and on Dutch a few times, I saddled up Romeo and we went for a short stroll in the pasture together. I think I'm going to alternate riding with her and standing on the ground. Dutch does better when I am not on the ground, she tends to follow me rather then listen to her rider. While I want Ace to learn to take charge, that shouldn't be the complete focus of the lesson. Plus riding with her, I can show her rather then just tell her how to do things.

I plan on spending the next few weeks just letting her ride, making sure she has the basic seat down but more importantly confidence and brakes!

Romeo did great!! No bucking or rearing... yeah!!!! I'm working on developing a relaxed horse... a youngster is hard... he can often be what I describe as wiggly. It sometimes feels like riding a snake as he gets unsure of himself and when he tenses up he becomes unbalanced. He does this both under saddle and on the lounge line so I'm working on taking slow, steady, and encouraging steps with him. He is eager to learn which makes him fairly easy to work with. I need to call my trainer up and set up a lesson. There is a schooling show down the street at my trainers stable the second weekend in September,. I am aiming to get him there. It will be his first show so I'm kinda nervous/excited to see how he does.

0 comments: