BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Dutchess

I live in Arkansas... not a bad state if you like high humidity, extremely hot temps, and a never-ending supply of bugs. QH's are def the state breed, along with a high population of idk-where-he-came-from breeds too. The everyone almost everyone here rides western, and even that discipline is limited to backyard rodeos. AQHA doesn't even have shows here in this state. See how I have been crippled from the beginning. Thankfully my parents choose the right barn for this horse-obsessed little girl to take lessons at. My Mimi, graciously paid for 2 lessons a month for many, many years. Those 2 days were the highlight of my month.

I took lessons at a little stable just down the street. When I was 12, Dutchess entered the picture. The happiest day of my life(: Little did I know just what I was in store for. She was a little QH, nothing special at the time, 15h with a full-blown boss mare attitude. A mare, not exactly the best choice for a first horse. She was moody, opinionated, stubborn, ornery, and just plain mean. I wouldn't go back and change it for anything. Through her I learned to be a horse trainer, and a real rider.

She came to me with 2 gaits: walk and run. I assume she was a barrel horse, not just because of her 2 gaits but because she could spin on a dime. She was good at it and often used it to dump me. She disliked people, disliked being ridden, yet loved to run and preferred living in a pasture by herself (and still does). It took years and a few other horses before her and I would become friends.

Friends we are and forever will be. She is my trusted old mare, knows my deepest secrets, and I like to think she would do anything for me, as I would for her. There's no place that I would fear to go on her, nothing I won't try, and always the pick when a quiet ride is needed.

0 comments: